Skip to Article Skip to Youtube

What is Tax on Turnover (TOT) and how to apply for TOT Dealership?

Before the Value Added Tax(VAT), there was General Sales Tax(GST) in force and it was common to all business people irrespective of business turnover. But after the introduction of VAT it become as a complicated issue for small merchants to pay the Tax on Sales and to maintain the Books of Accounts.

What is Tax on Turnover (TOT) and how to apply for TOT Dealership?
Form VAT 001

As per the AP VAT Act 2005 on or after March 1, 2005 every Trader whose turnover exceeds Rs. 40 Lakh has to register as a VAT Dealer and he has to pay the tax on Sales and must maintain the Books of Accounts and other Records. And for those Traders whose turnover does not exceeds Rs. 40 Lakh are exempted from VAT purview.

The Commercial Tax Department not allowed to collect the VAT amount on Sales from such Traders instead they have introduced the Tax On Turnover which is termed as TOT and is a kind of Indirect Tax. Merchants whose turnover is in between Rs. 5 Lakh and Rs. 40 Lakh for the 12 months has to obtain the TOT Dealership Certificate from the concerned Commercial Tax Office. For this the Applicant has to complete the FORM TOT 001 and submit it to the concerned Commercial Tax Officer in his circle.

How to Register for TOT Certificate from Commercial Tax Department?

All the Merchants whose turnover exceeds Rs. 5 Lakh and does not exceeds Rs. 40 Laksh has to obtain the TOT Certificate from the Commercial Tax Department by submitting the Form TOT 001. It is mandatory to register as a TOT Dealer, if the turnover lies in between the above said amounts.

If the Trader is not applied for VAT Registration they will be issued by a Notification of General Registration as a TOT Dealer, provided your taxable turnover exceeds Rs. 5 Lakh but not Rs. 40 Lakh for 12 months after 31-12-14.

If you are applying for Registration as a TOT dealer under the APVAT Act 2005 on or after 1-4-2005, you must complete a simple application in form TOT 001 and take it to your Tax Office. You will receive a Notice of General Registration if your application is satisfactory.

There are some Obligations are framed for TOT Dealer

There some obligations framed by the APVAT Act 2005 for the TOT Dealers and the terms are jotted down.

  1. The TOT Dealer has to submit the summary report of his Turnover (Sales) each quarter to the Commercial Tax Department through e-Returns.
  2. After e-Returns quarterly the TOT Dealer has to pay the Tax either from Treasury Bank or through Online Payment System from Commercial Tax Department website for each quarter ending June, September, December, and March by the end of the following month.
  3. If, the TOT Dealers fails to file and pay the levy dealer will be charges with penalty and interest charges.
  4. The TOT Dealer is not allowed to claim the Input/Credit Taxes from the Purchase Invoices he made from the VAT Dealer.
  5. He is not authorized to issues TAX INVOICE.

And this about the Tax on Turnover (TOT) and how can a trader register for the TOT Dealership from Commercial Tax Department? And What the TOT Dealer has to do and not to do after obtaining the TOT Certificate.

is the founder of AccountsGuy.Net with the view of providing Accounting and Technical support using Accounting package Tally ERP 9, and Office Tools to the people. I write articles on Accounts, Blogging, Computer Operating, and technical issues and some of my experiences on them for students, beginners. Follow our Networks or sing-up for the email newsletter below for your daily dose of Tips and Tricks.
Subscribe To Newsletters

{ 18 Comments... read them below or add one }

kalyan chakravarthi said...

hi,i am planning to start cctv sales and service business,for that what are govt registration should tot ,licence etc .pls help me

Venkkatesh K said...

It is based on the turnover of the Business as i specified above. If you need further assistance regarding this you can contact us @ with your contact details. We will assist you.

Unknown said...

A tot dealer can import material from other state

Venkkatesh K said...

Only the VAT Dealer can purchase from other State. TOT Dealer can only purchase within the State.

raogv said...

Hi, any one kindly post clear details of APVAT-CST-TOT side by side.

Venkkatesh K said...

Mr. Rao GV we will updated the information soon. Kindly subscriber to our Blog Post to get the Updates if you need any specific article let us know to put our effort to get it done.
Thanks for reading our Blog.

Ram chowdary said...

Iam doing garments wholesale business which I get tot,tin

Venkkatesh K said...

If your Annual Turnover is Less than 5 Lakh you do not need to Register either as TOT or VAT Dealer.
If your Annual Turnover is in between 5 Lakh and 40 Lakh you need to Register as TOT Dealer.
If your Annual Turnover is more than 40 Lakh you need to Register as VAT Dealer.
The above condition is applicable to all the Trading Concern irrespective of kind of nature of business.

Unknown said...

hii sir, im a small plastic wholesaler,i purchases goods from other states,which taxe is im to pay .....? mi turnover is five laks only.please guide me what type of taxe in appicable for me

Venkkatesh K said...

Only the VAT Dealer can purchase from Other State. Only you have to pay Invoice amount to your Supplier. The Supplier will pay the Tax to the Commercial Tax Department. If you purchase against C Form condition you have give C Form against the Invoice.

Unknown said...

we are having packed food product distributor recently we have registered for VAT but our annual turnover is around 12 laks can we apply for TOT also

Venkkatesh K said...

One person can have multiple set of Proprietary Businesses you may have for one Business VAT and for another TOT.

Unknown said...

Hi,im planing for a startup, regarding food selling online, what all are required for starting my bussiness online, planing for a dealership, not pvt Ltd.

Venkkatesh K said...

For Food Selling first you have to get the Food License from Food Safety and Stands Authority of India. After that you need to apply for VAT and/or CST Licenses.

suresh giduturi said...

Sir I want to start d textail business .if my turnover comes to 5 -10/lacks .shall I go for TOT r Tin.
Shall I purchase from other states like kolkata.,mumbai.through TOT.please give me email I'd

Venkkatesh K said...

Only the VAT Dealers can Purchase from other State and TOT Dealers has to purchase only within the State.

Deepak Singh said...

I want to start a game shop what are the legal doucument i must have

Venkkatesh K said...

Mr. Deepak Singh,
It is advisable to have the VAT License. If you need any assistance in this regard contact me @

Post a Comment

How do you feel about this Blog Post.